The skills and experience one develops during the course of an ‘Education’ degree prepare you for a range of career opportunities working with children and young people. If this sounds exciting then read on to know more about studying ‘Education’ abroad.

Education degrees abroad

Education degrees predominantly focus on teaching, which can open up many opportunities and occupations to international students. The more specific a degree you choose the more focused on a particular career it will be, especially if it is aimed towards a particular country’s education system.

Some institutions specialize in teaching and training qualifications, and may be referred to as teaching colleges, however many universities have teaching programs alongside their other academic courses.


Interested in studying in USA?

Education program structure

The program curriculum of an education qualification will depend on exactly the type of degree a university offers. Many qualifications that would allow you to become a qualified teacher are country and even state specific, so you need to know exactly what the content of the program is before applying.

If you are studying teaching from a purely academic angle then you will focus on research into pedagogy. However, most education focused degrees will require a large amount of practical learning and research, including placements for real teaching experience. These can include specialist areas of teaching for specific groups such as:

  • Elementary education
  • Early years education
  • Adult education
  • Teaching English as a foreign language
  • Special education
  • Coaching

Are you sure you considered all possible options for your future education and career?

Several universities including the University of Cambridge allow students to combine a Master’s degree and a Bachelor’s degree for a streamlined focus. Students can specialise in a specific area of interest – for example primary or secondary education, special education, or an advanced language course to name a few with a Master’s degree in Education in the abroad. Several schools encourage students to pursue further education in a specific subject area like Sociology, Speech and Language Therapy, English or Paediatric Nursing.

Teaching methods such as lecture, seminar and independent study and assignments like thesis, reviews, poster presentations and exams, allow students to gain industry knowledge and skills that are highly valued by employers worldwide. A further study on a Postgraduate General Certificate in Education (PGCE) course or the School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) programme, which is a teacher-training course in England are also viable options. The SCITT allows degree holders to take their training in a school, which ultimately leads to Qualified Teacher Status. Some SCITT programmes are also eligible for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) qualification.

As Education is an interdisciplinary subject, a degree holder can also explore areas related to media and publishing. Some examples of job titles in this sector are reception teacher, KS2 teacher, secondary teacher with a specialisation in a particular subject, teacher, primary teacher, early years teacher, nursery/kindergarten teacher and music teacher. Professionals can also opt to work in further education or in other areas as education officers in museums and galleries. Primary-school teacher classes are primarily responsible for meeting the varied requirements of different children. They are also required to create a secure learning environment. Nurturing and improving positive collaborative associations with students, parents and administrators are some of the main agendas.

The abroad offers refresher courses and encourages several teachers to opt for expanded job roles and add more responsibilities and tasks to their pools.  If pursuing an Education degree in the abroad excites you, start exploring your options now!

  • Education consultant
  • English as a foreign language teacher
  • Further education teacher
  • Learning mentor
  • Community education officer
  • Early years teacher
  • Education administrator
  • Primary school teacher
  • Secondary school teacher
  • Careers adviser
  • Child psychotherapist
  • Counselor
  • Family support worker
  • Health play specialist
  • Museum education officer
  • Play therapist
  • Private tutor
  • Youth worker
  • Special educational needs coordinator (SENCO)
  • Special educational needs teacher

Register for Free Counselling

All fields are mandatory